I considered lots of options, especially fusible applique, and fabric painting. But I wasn't in the mood to paint, and I thought fusible applique could too easily end up looking like a poodle skirt. Cute but really not MY style. Plus I wanted something I could finish fast, before my kids got home from the baseball game.
So I glanced around my sewing room looking for some other inspiration. I have been collecting selvedges for months, hoping to make them into a sewing machine cover, or possibly even one of these amazing quilts. I decided to sacrifice a few for my skirt. I tried pinning on a few just to make sure I liked the look of it, and to figure out which direction I wanted the selvedges to be turned.
I started at a side seam, stitching the selvedges down only along the white edge (with white thread). I didn't even really pin it down, so some of my lines got a bit wavy. I like that hand-made look, but if you are not comfortable with "winging" it, of course you could measure and pin. I spaced the selvedges closely at the bottom, and spread them out the further up the skirt I went.
As you can see, when I ran out of long selvedges, I didn't worry too much about matching up colors or patterns.
Here is the finished product. I love it!