October 4, 2010

Book Review: The Science of Sexy by Bradley Bayou

I'm starting my fashion research at the same place I start all my research: my local public library!

There isn't much "science" in this book. The subtitle is more honest: "Dress to fit your unique figure with the style system that works for every shape and size." After a short introduction which includes Mr. Bayou's "Conceal and Reveal" strategy, and his "Ten Dress Sexy Commandments," I was instructed to take my measurements and refer to a chart for my color. My measurements gave me my body shape, and the color chart referenced my height and weight. I was sent to a "fitting room" in the back of the book, taking my height, weight, and body shape into consideration.

I am a "Tall Plus Rectangle." I have a thick waist (all those post babies pounds), but at least my broad shoulders and wide hips are balanced. I am supposed to wear clothes that create the illusion of a slimmer waist, like wrap shirts and dresses, surplice tops, v-necks, and boatneck tops. I should wear empire waists, and avoid drop waists. I should wear slightly flared skirts and straight or bootleg pants. I should keep my patterns and accessories in a medium to large scale. I can show off my legs. I should wear pointy toed shoes, peep toe heels, and no squared toed shoes. I should choose princess seamed jackets, and avoid doubled breasted anything, long, straight coats, and anything that is shiny, stretchy, or clingy around my middle. I should also avoid belts. Which is good to know, since I'd been looking around for belts lately!

I didn't learn much that I didn't already know. I need to remember not to wear clingy t-shirts without a jacket, as this emphasizes that spare tire around my middle. I need to invest in some new shoes this winter, so I will try to follow Mr. Bayou's recommendations on that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment